Saturday, April 11, 2009

What a wash...

Friday April 10th, 2009
Cincinnati Reds host the Pittsburgh Pirates... almost.


I knew from the get go that this would turn out to be a mush day,.. I just didnt expect it to never happen at all. I am all good and fine with long delays,.. last year we had one that lasted for what seemed like 3 hours. Its where the profile picture on my blog came from,.. sitting in the tunnel on a hot sunday waiting for the showers to dissipate.


The night before I had ventured to wally world and bought a full body rain suit in anticipation. Last year being my first season with the team I had to learn in a kind of trial by fire situation, first only having a small rain jacket.. then switching to the cheap poncho, but now its a full body suit... which did great, especially on my bike ride to the stadium.


riding into the stadium it was weird and almost predictive.
absent were the usual vendors with the 5 dollar hats and the discounted Griffey jerseys...
absent were the guys with the signs that say "why lie, I want a beer"..
absent was my friend with the bongo drum.
another rainy and drab afternoon in the queen city by all accounts. still though, you have hope that the clouds will part.. the sun will peek through.. and the game you love will still go on.


after eating a healthy portion of lasagna in anticipation of delays and a late night we were told that pregame was going to go on at 6:30 as planned. at 6:30 a message came across the headsets to come back to the control room and be back on camera at 7:30. at 7:15 we were told to stay put for an announcement.. and at 7:30 that announcement told us all to go home.


was i disappointed? yes and no.
I didnt really like the prospect of standing in the rain.. but I was well prepared.
I didnt like not getting to watch the Reds take on the Pirates.. but was also relieved it wouldnt be a late night.
I didnt like that the game had rained out... but was confident that when the time came to make it up, the Reds would be even better than they are now.


So I packed my camera up, got back on the bike and said goodnight to great american.. .knowing that I would be back on Saturday,.. where the sun would be shining, the fans will be smiling... and the Reds... will be playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment