Thursday, May 7, 2009

Juuuuuuust a bit outside......

May 7th, 2009 - Brew Crew at the Reds...

Tonight we were greeted with a rain delay, and it wasn’t good rain either. It was dull drab misting rain that moved in slow... and creeped around... and then eventually left. In the process though, I got to watch a great history video on Crosley Field… but wait, I am getting ahead of myself.

Tonight I ate dinner 6 feet away from Bob Uecker. Yes the “JUUUUUUST A BIT OUTSIDE” Bob Uecker from Major League. The Bob Uecker that is shown countless amounts of times on WWE highlight reels being choked out by Andre The Giant,… and there he is sitting 6 feet from me eating the same hot dog I am eating. Enjoying the same beaked beans I was enjoying… and talking it up and laughing with Marty.

While eating, they had the best sports show period on in the dining room and were showing the top sports bloopers of all time, part two. We were watching and then suddenly there was a roar amongst the crowd as the now infamous event from a pregame where Mr. Redlegs fell off the back of the 4 Wheeler and took a tumble. It just so happened that the two guys who make Gapper and Redlegs come to life were standing there, and were receiving some good ribbing from the Media guys sitting around eating. They took the jabs well though and it was pretty funny.

I was still kind of preoccupied with the fact that Bob Uecker was sitting next to me… I never know what to say exactly in those situations... so I said nothing. I did however know what to say when I saw my new favorite Red while setting up. As I was helping Erik get his gear to first base before the rain came, I saw someone sitting in the Reds dugout on their cell phone. This is a pretty common thing, but what made it uncommon is that it was Laynce Nix.

He was looking down at his phone (presumably texting) and I couldn’t resist the urge while I was walking by to say “You’re my favorite Laynce!”, he looked up kind of surprised, chuckled and said thanks and pumped his fist at me. I don’t think he really took me seriously… and I guess if my main role had been pinch hitting all season, I wouldn’t take someone saying that to me seriously either. But I was honest and thankful when he eventually got into the game and cranked out an RBI double after the rain delay finally ended.

In little league and later High School league ball, it’s not uncommon that everyone might get a chance to pitch. After last night’s less than stellar performance by Bronson Arroyo, Dusty was running out of options going into the 9th inning and played a card that I had not seen a major league coach pull… and that was putting the shortstop on the mound.

Paul Janish got up there, and did as well as I suppose anyone else would have. The crowd sure loved it, cheering him and even started a light chant of “let’s go Janish!” Janish struck out the first batter before running into some trouble and eventually taking a homer off of Prince Fielder. I am sure for anyone who tuned in expecting to see one of Fox Sports filler programs that late was probably mystified at the fact that the shortstop was on the hill. In the end though (despite the home run, but I mean what do you expect ... the man has pitched how many games in the Majors?) Janish didn’t do too badly. He was cool, calm and collected... and got up there as though he and Hanigan were simply playing catch in a way.

Since the rain delay took an extra hour than usual, I was able to ride my bike on fairly open streets. It’s nice to ride around that late with the lack of traffic. As I rode through downtown with my bike lights blazing I had many thoughts…

“What will the rest of the season hold?"

"Sharee Paolello is a tiny woman”

“The reaction on Sportscenter is probably going to be bad”

“Will I ever meet Shadow Hare while riding around downtown?”

“When will Laynce Nix see full time play?”

“Paul Janish… wow”

“BOB UECKER!”

But the biggest thought is one that was instilled in me when I played the game myself,.. When it wasn’t for millions of dollars, or TV advertising, or endorsements or anything else… it was when the game was played for fun… that thought simply was “we’ll get em’ next time”

No comments:

Post a Comment