Friday, May 22, 2009

These last two days at great american have had a series of ups and downs, mostly on the field. What looked really good one moment ended really bad the next as the Reds dropped game 3 of a rubber match where they had dominated only one day before.

perhaps two of the most shocking or rather odd events happened on consecutive days.

Wednesday evening felt odd to me.
as i walked down the hall toward the dining room something struck me and made me feel weird but i couldnt put my finger on what it was. dinner was normal.. everything was pretty normal really.. that was until I got to my camera and we got into pregame.

as it turns out, a man had suffered what was probably cardiac arrest out in the sundeck/moondeck bleachers. paramedics rushed to his aid and pumped on his chest for what seemed like an ice age while performing CPR. eventually they would end up taking him out on a backboard... eventually i would find out that he has passed away in the stands. some of the crew talked about how a similar thing had happened a while back and so i researched while looking for a clue to this recent happening online... it turns out that in 2005, the same thing had happened, eerily in the same section to a boys grandfather. the bench coach took the initiative, inviting the boy to sit with players for the game, and griffey in an act of charity, put together a giant grab bag od signed goodies and other reds related things for the boy.

the whole event was overshadowed by the dominance of the reds for the evening.. but left me feeling off and questioning my own mortality, having had a birthday just the previous day and realizing that i am not getting any younger.

then during the thursday businessday special, I was on camera in the blazing sun when I looked over to see a pregnant lady sitting in the stands about 8 feet from me. this isnt abnormal.. pregnant ladies come to the game all the time.

what isnt normal about this is that i am pretty sure this lady was drinking.
I mentioned this over the headset, so then everyone took a look. was it apple juice I asked myself? how could it be.. they dont sell apple juice in a plastic beer cup at the ballpark. this was confirmed for me when the lady sitting next to her came back from the concession with a fresh beer of her own, and a new plastic beer cup full of a bronze liquid that had a frothy head on it. this pregnant lady downed i dont know how many of these before they finally left.

someone mentioned that they thought that the ballpark selled O'douls.
Even so, if you are that desperate of an alcoholic that you need to drink an o'douls when you are visibly 8 or 9 months pregnant, then you probably dont need to be having a child.

All in all this past series was one of ups and downs and with todays switch arounds due to some injuries, we have a potential to see some fresh action of a team thats battling to keep their head above water. I still stand by my pre season prediction... the reds will finish above around or a little above 500 and have the potential to the NL central wildcard.

only time will tell, and until volquez gets healthy and a few more adjustments are made at the plate, its anyones game.

No comments:

Post a Comment